Search This Blog

Sunday 28 November 2010

Cardin, Oklahoma

Eddie Carden of Hampton VA kindly drew my attention to this photograph from http://schehrer2.homestead.com/   It is reproduced with the permission of John Schehrer who writes: From the "History of Ottawa County, Oklahoma," the name was changed from Tar River to Cardin about 1918 when Oscar Cardin promised to construct a half mile of sidewalk in the town, if it could bear his name. Louis LaFountaine Cardin and his brother, Oscar, had been adopted by the Quapaw Indians and given allotments in 1894. The family was prominent in the early mining development of Ottawa County. I am not sure if the Cardins were Indians or not.
.

1 comment:

Cindy Kirkpatrick said...

Hi, I'm Cindy Kirkpatrick. I am a Cardin (maiden name). My family moved west to California from The Oklahoma area. I am aware of the town named Cardin. My father George Cardin came across it when traveling back east to visit family. He said that the brothers for whom the town was named, were relatives.
There are several Cardins here in California and on the west cost.

About Me

My photo
For information go to http://www.one-name.org/profiles/carden.html